Sunday, August 3, 2014

Take a Hill Pill #1


Wishes, when they come true, ooze out happiness like never before.

If  I am ever given a choice between loads of money and plenty of days in hills, chucking any second thoughts I’ll choose the latter. More so after finally having spent some beautiful days in the Kumaon hills. The last time I had been on a proper trip to a hill station was as a 4 yr old kid. It was Manali. Few years back, it was an expedition to Vaishnodevi which I thoroughly loved, the only dismay being not getting a chance to tour around Kashmir. And after that what I remember most clearly is my craving for any such place. Even the slightest prospect of a similar holiday resulted in me weaving endless plans in my head when everyone else used to retire to the bed. Over the years these self-talks changed from “I have to buy a hat, and a Capri set just  like XYZ for this trip” to “It’s gonna be such an amazing thing, sight of curvy roads, the feel of standing among clouds...”. What never changed was the thrill, and when I faintly heard ongoing discussions on a trip to Nainital and places around earlier this summer, it was quite a tough thing for me to suppress this thrill. I feared that getting overjoyed would definitely make the plan a failure, just  like it happened all these years. Only I know how I contained the happiness till the night before the journey, because finally when everything was all set, I could hold no more. I was actually happy to the extent that I didn’t want to sleep, dreading what if it was a dream no more in vision the moment I open my eyes next. But true it was, and this way I had the loveliest of my vacations in a long time, this June. I was so restless to get to the place that the road-trip seemed the most boring thing ever to me that time. Well, of course, only till the time we reached the destination. And then everything felt surreal. The moment I got a glimpse of the hill mounds when we were still driving through the plains, I felt a gush of unusual happiness. That feeling of ‘Yes! I am finally here’, with a content smile.
And as we started driving up the road, needless to say, I was stuffed with excitement. But, was also a bit spooked as I watched the height from the ground increasing at every little distance, only to get used to it in the next 10 days. In fact after a few days I suddenly recalled how scared I was the first day, and shared a laugh with myself.
Regarding the plan for the whole trip, I had very little idea, only knowing that the trip is going to be for a duration, much more than I had expected. Evidently, it was less than I wished for, because if one decides to consider that, then they’ll probably have to buy me a cottage in every hill station. I wish I could make a living by just sitting up there. :D

The sun set that evening promising some brighter days ahead....
Clicked at Bhimtal (Courtesy: Framed Figments)
The only low point of the whole tour was that there were a few places I wanted to stay in longer than the scheduled one-day stay. Some other time, I hope. Other than that those days will always come back as a lovely pack of memories, with slices of adventure, lovely as well as some damn scary moments, silent nights, cloudy mornings, smell of forest, beautiful roads, cute dogs, pine cones we were mad for, the numerous bottles of Coke we had, and a lot more!

Finally, starting from this post, I’ll try to record my happy hilly days in the most memorable way. Engrossing enough to read out to my kids in future :P And no, I am not going to go Mr. India-ish  again. I have to write this (more of a push to my own self).

With a promise to not bore and write better and more
(just focus on the rhyme),


-Srishti  :)


*The images I’ll be sharing are clicked by my brother. A few will be mine too. Feel free to pour a word or two. :D Visit the page link for better view of these and many more pictures.


9 comments:

  1. Beautiful description...n d beautiful photos...lets plan a trip nxt yr...hills beauty camera n us <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so want to!
      If things work out well next year, I'll make sure this happens. :*

      Delete
  2. hmm,am fond of nature,wherever it is located. i often used to get a dream where i and my girlfriend are sitting on a grassland with green mountains surrounded with stream of water passing under our bare feet with water stream full of precious stones under our feet.the dream says our natural and pure emotions are more precious than precious stones under our feet,so spend quality time with whomever you are committed to.

    funny thing is,i din't come across such girlfriend or i din't come across such beautiful location like in my dream.but i did come across very beautiful natural places from my childhood. anyway dream is a dream.i came back from darjeeling after spending 2 weeks there.it was good but i din't get food i like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, I don't think you need a particular type of girlfriend to spend those times with! :D
      I hope you soon find that place. Do let me know too. It sounds beautiful. :)

      Delete
    2. hmm there is a beautiful place 12kms from my home town .when i was school kid,during summer vacation ,i and my friends used to travel to this place on bicycles to play there.this place has water as pure as distilled water.i think it has lost charm over years after mining mafia started its activity.i din't visit this place after i have moved to city for higher studies.you may check below links

      http://highwayonlyway.com/tag/yaganti-uma-maheswara-swamy-temple/

      http://siaphotography.in/blog/yaganti/

      Delete
  3. I so want to take a hiatus from my work and go visit somewhere magical.. I am sooo waiting for more clicks by your brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll definitely get to see them. And you can always hop on to the link I shared. That's the page we post our photos at :)

      Amen to your travel wishes! *take me along*

      Delete
  4. Lucky you....I wish me too can got for trip like this. North east is on top of my wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky, after long! Someday, you would too, surely.

      I want to travel anywhere and everywhere. Hills top the list, but there are many other places I'd love to see.

      Delete