Thursday, May 2, 2013

As I counted my Last Breath

The door creaked once again. My fingers dug deeper into the sheets, as I rounded myself into one corner of the bed. It was all dark, obvious for 1.00 a.m. at night. But that was nothing to worry about. What horrified me was the utter silence that accompanied the night. The only sound to entertain me was that of the howling wolves. These wolves, I tell you, they always choose such nights for their slumber party. I ugghhd for the umpteenth time for agreeing to stay at home, all “alone” for 2 days, while the family had to attend a ‘mandatory’ wedding of one distant cousin of mine. C’mon! I don’t understand why do people create so much hype while inviting their guests. They always come prepared with a tag line with the invitation “Dekhiye bhaisaab, aapko zaroor aana hai. Aur bina bhabhiji or bacchon ke toh bilkul bhi nahi!”. I wonder what do they actually mean by this! O_o
Anyway, yea, so I decided to stay back with the best excuse of my exams scheduled to start in 10 days from then. Not that I was really gonna  bless my books. Bah! I had a well set plan with my favorite movies, and stalking people on facebook, of course, for a perrrfect night life. But nonetheless, when did I ever have a good rapport with this fate! The weather being an overtly flaming one, the transformer in the locality decided to end it’s life. Humph! Drama everywhere. And whoa! There I was, rolled up on my bed, forced to keep the curtains on one side to let some fresh air in, muttering the incomplete phrases of Hanuman Chalisa, whenever I heard the bathroom door haunting me.
While I was all drenched in sweat, glaring unblinkingly at the window sill, I got another reason to imagine my upcoming funeral. On one of the window panes fell a weird waving shadow. Putting in all the knowledge I had about shapes and figure, this one seemed like the ghosts I have seen in Casper movies. This was enough to pace up my chalisa speed as I shut my eyes in fear. Within a minute or two, curiosity took over me as I slightly opened my left eye, and that moment gave me a jolt. Don’t know if it was some insane illusion of a scared mind, or reality when for a flash of  seconds I saw someone peeping into my room, from the same window. The shadow was still there. I was losing hope. Even the few lines of the prayer I remembered, ditched me. Feeling out of breath, I recalled the morning news of robbery in Ravindrapuri Street of our city, where the robbers first killed each member of the house and then carried on with their task. I shivered at the very thought of it. Agreed that most of the times I am busy with my bizarre thoughts, but even then I never dreamt of such a death!
About to reach the epilogue of my life, I wondered how my family would react, seeing me lay lifeless there, in the room they had so lovingly decorated when I was to shift in there on my birthday, some 7 years back. Leave the reaction, how would they get into the house in the first place?? Even in a situation so grave I let out a laugh, picturing my brother’s face assuming that it’s my prolonged sleep that’s taking time in answering  the door. Little would they be knowing that it’s a permanent sleep!
Stream of tears made way through my cheeks as I thought about all my unfulfilled dreams, those of reading all books by Nicholas Sparks, and at least one from the Harry Potter series (:/) , of my own house with a library in the garden, of that world tour on which eating all varieties of chocolates was the priority, an adventure trip, and yes of course, the dream of fixing up my brother’s marriage, with a girl I choose for HIM. I really wanted all these to see the light of the day.
As I lay there, sinking in with each passing second and watching that shadow make a rapid movement, I could hear sounds of a rubber slipper. “Couldn’t step out wearing a shoe!”…I thought about the robbers. I t suddenly struck me that the footsteps were probably nearing my room. I shut my eyes with full force, and started counting my last breath, and……BANG! Something hit my head. But what was this, it felt so soft. “A soft weapon?” I wondered, and suffered another hit. Opening my eyes with a jerk, I quickly sat up on the bed. My jaws dropped looking at the intruder. There HE was, my brother, standing with a pillow, and laughing at me like a maniac. As I stared blankly at him, he voiced “Good morning Sister!”


Okay, now stop making such faces. What did you expect as a first attempt? :/ Appreciate that I at least had the courage to share this mindless piece. :D It had a  tinge of reality to it, and rest all was pure fiction. Anddd, I came up with this after I had a reaallly scary dream one night, whose theme I am still trying to decipher.
And yes, while I was away, few quite lovely blogger friends of mine chose to make me happy by Leibstering my blog. Thankyou very much buddies!. A related post to follow, very soon. :)

Suggestions welcomed.
Thanks a lot for stopping by. :)

-Srishti

17 comments:

  1. The best thing was being so horrified to core, still you could think of your brother's marriage..lol..and you want to put up your brother a girl with your choice..cnt stop grinning. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe. That's something I always wanted. Though my mother won't render me that responsibility to me, fearing I might bring in someone equally disorganised as me. :D

    Thankyou for the read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya dear, even I m also worried about if u choose a gal for me then surely she wil be lyk u...lolzz...
    Anyways, very well written.. atleast one thing is there which is done by u in organised way.. ha ha!
    Aur haan, still u remember the casper muvi.. but tab to tum bahut chhoti thi..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup bhaiya. I remember the movie...yes but only the look of the ghosts. :D
      And no matter what..ur wud be bride won't be spared my scrutiny :P

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait! First attempt?
    Doesn't look like one. Seriously, it doesn't.
    Well, you must be too good at it and you just know it, I guess.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You think so?? O:-)
      Thankyou very much! :)

      Delete
  6. ^ I agree with The Guy in the Hat! I guess you sort of discovered your hidden talent through blogging? :D This post is awesome. You write SO good! Loved every bit of it, every single bit. :D

    Please keep writing and write more :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Umm..yeah! Blogging IS really helping me. :D
      Thankyou very much. The compliment came as a real boosting. :)

      Delete
  7. 'fixing up brother's marriage, with a girl of MY choice' :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that was some post... and yes I also agree to Ashna and The Guy in the Hat.. it is so well written for a first attempt you should definately write some more.... and more and more.

    Loved your creativity :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?? :)). Super happy with this comment. Thankyou!
      Yup..more will come up for sure. :D

      Delete
  9. This was amazing!!! You should right fiction more often! This one was so gripping, I could picture it all in my head and get a a tad bit scared (tad bit because mai dabangg hu :P)
    Sorry I'm pretty late, no? Nevertheless, excellent work :)
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyouuu! :D
      I will write more..sure!

      Dabangg, eh? :P

      Delete